Thank you for hosting a student from the Department of Nursing. The following information is provided to assist you with commonly encountered activities during the placement.
Before each shift, the Clinical Educator/Preceptor is advised to spend some time with the MNSc Student to ascertain if they are sufficiently prepared for the day. Allocation of students to ‘buddies’, may also take place at these meetings. General paperwork for completion by the students each day should include the development of daily learning objectives or revision of weekly learning objectives and the development of a shift planner.
Student timesheets in SONIA/Pebblepad
All clinical educators should check and approve the student timesheet at the end of each shift, with all shifts confirmed before the final day of placement. Delays in approving timesheets/rosters can delay student placement subject results. Please email the nursing placements team if there are issues completing the timesheets due to system issues. Timesheets are submitted electronically through SONIA/Pebblepad for all MNSc students.
All MNSc students will be assessed using the ANSAT tool which is available on SONIA/Pebblepad for completion and/or downloads. All educators or education teams will be allocated a designated educator password to access SONIA/Pebblepad - please contact the PEP coordinators or PEP officer for further information or requirements.
Educators or Preceptors must notify the PEP if there any concerns about an MNSc student’s progress, their coping with PEP or an incident occurring while on PEP that requires escalation.
PEP Appraisal Process for Clinical Educators
In addition to specific subject requirements, it is expected that prior to commencement of the PEP the Clinical Educator/Preceptor will have a clear understanding of the ANSAT being used and the expected learning outcomes/standards of performance required in the subject.
During the PEP the Clinical Educator or Preceptor will:
- Maintain daily notes about the progress of each MNSc student;
- Liaise with each MNSc student about how they think they are progressing and their plan for improving their performance (learning objective template);
- Provide regular verbal feedback to the MNSc student about their performance (positive feedback and areas for improvement);
- Liaise with the PEP Coordinator regarding an individual MNSc student’s progress throughout the placement;
- Promptly identify MNSc students who are performing at a “borderline”, unsatisfactory level or ‘at risk’ of failure with the PEP Coordinator. If a student is not progressing as expected, or not achieving the learning outcomes for the subject’s clinical placement, the CNE should contact the PEP Coordinator ASAP to discuss a plan of action to be implemented;
- Complete other documents as guided by the PEP Coordinator regarding MNSc student’s progress such as a Professional Development Plan or Clinical File Note;
- Complete a timely formative and summative appraisal of MNSc student’s progress;
- Review and approve all student rosters in SONIA/Pebblepad at the end of each shift, not surpassing the completion of the placement.
|Kerry Sullivan |
Clinical placement officer