Info for Mentors
Do you remember your final year of university, wondering what it might be like in the real world? We have students right now with exactly the same questions.
We are currently looking for past alumni from the Faculty of Medicine, Dentistry and Health Sciences to share their professional experience and support students with the transition from university into their chosen career. Alumni from the below study areas are needed for the program in 2020:
The MDHS Mentoring Program gives you the opportunity to enhance coaching and leadership skills and connect with the next generation of graduates from the faculty.
“I have always wanted to give back to MDS since leaving in 1995. Being a mentor is a great opportunity to engage with current students and the University. I feel I’m looking back at myself 20 years ago!
– Dr Jodie Dobson (BDSc1995)
Applications for the 2020 program will open on Friday 29 November 2019.
What might I expect to gain from joining the mentoring program?
- Develop a fresh perspective on your career
- Extend your professional network
- Help to shape the future of your profession and community
- Connect with the next generation of graduates
- Support your student to identify and achieve their career goals and develop in confidence
- Participation in workshops contribute to CPD hours (delete this sentence)
- Reconnect or develop closer links with the University of Melbourne, ranked #1 in Australia
When does the program run?
- November 2019 – March 2020: Recruitment for both students and alumni
- March: Matching Process
- Late March: Students and alumni will be notified about the outcome of their application and introduced to their partner online.
- Early April: Commencement Event (date TBC)
- April – November: Students are encouraged to organise meetings with their mentor. These can take place in person or online.
- August: Drop In Event (Date TBC)
- November: End of Program Celebration
What are the attributes of a good mentor?
A mentor is someone who is:
- Willing and eager to listen
- Enthusiastic, yet honest
- Open to learning and self-reflection
- Happy to share experiences, both positive and negative
- Supports and listens rather than coaching or lecturing
What is required of a mentor?
To be eligible to become a mentor you need to:
- Have graduated from the Faculty of Medicine, Dentistry and Health Sciences before 2017.
- Have a minimum of two years professional experience.
- Commit to at least five meetings with your student between March and November 2020
- Demonstrate professional and ethical conduct at all times
What is the time commitment?
How will I be matched with a student?
We will match you with a student based upon commonality in your applications. Best efforts will be made to fulfil your preferences but not all preferences can be guaranteed.
Can I choose a student?
No, we will match you with a student taking into consideration the preferences and interests you have provided on your application form. Best efforts will be made to fulfil your preferences but not all preferences can be guaranteed.
Where will I meet my student
If my application is unsuccessful, can I apply to be a mentor in subsequent years?