Info for Mentors
Do you remember your final year of university, wondering what it might be like in the real world? We have students right now with exactly the same questions.
We are currently looking for alumni from the Faculty of Medicine, Dentistry and Health Sciences to share their professional experience and support students with the transition from university into their chosen career. Alumni from the below study areas are needed for the program in 2021:
The MDHS Mentoring Program gives you the opportunity to enhance coaching and leadership skills and connect with the next generation of graduates from the faculty.
“I have always wanted to give back to MDS since leaving in 1995. Being a mentor is a great opportunity to engage with current students and the University. I feel I’m looking back at myself 20 years ago!
– Dr Jodie Dobson (BDSc 1995)
Applications for the 2021 program are now closed.
What might I expect to gain from joining the mentoring program?
- Develop a fresh perspective on your career
- Extend your professional network
- Help to shape the future of your profession and community
- Connect with the next generation of graduates
- Support your student to identify and achieve their career goals and develop in confidence
- Reconnect or develop closer links with the University of Melbourne, ranked #1 in Australia
When does the program run?
- February: Applications for the program open
- March: Matching Process
- Late March: Students and alumni will be notified about the outcome of their application and introduced to their partner online.
- April – November: Students are encouraged to organise meetings with their mentor. These can take place in person or online.
What are the attributes of a good mentor?
A mentor is someone who is:
- Willing and eager to listen
- Enthusiastic, yet honest
- Open to learning and self-reflection
- Happy to share experiences, both positive and negative
- Supports and listens rather than coaching or lecturing
How do I know if I’m eligible for the program?
- Have graduated from the Faculty of Medicine, Dentistry and Health Sciences before 2018.
- Have a minimum of two years professional experience.
- Not currently employed by the University of Melbourne in any role that influences the academic outcomes of students.
- Not in any position or situation that may be deemed to cause a conflict of interest affecting the results of this program.
What is the time commitment?
How will I be matched with a student?
We will match you with a student based upon commonality in your applications. Best efforts will be made to fulfil your preferences but not all preferences can be guaranteed.
Can I choose a student?
No, we will match you with a student taking into consideration the preferences and interests you have provided on your application form. Best efforts will be made to fulfil your preferences but not all preferences can be guaranteed.
Where will I meet my student
If my application is unsuccessful, can I apply to be a mentor in subsequent years?