Isaac Schweitzer Travelling Fellowship
- Study level
- Graduate Research, Other
- Enrolment status
- Study Area
- Fund source
- Perpetual Trust (UOM)
- Fund basis
In 2013, the University launched an appeal supported by Healthscope's The Melbourne Clinic, to establish a fund in memory of Professor Isaac Schweitzer, who passed away in 2013. Prof. Schweitzer was an outstanding clinician, researcher, and teacher, who made an incredible contribution to the University of Melbourne’s Department of Psychiatry and, from 2000, to The Melbourne Clinic as the inaugural Healthscope Chair. His passion for travelling and working overseas, and international collaboration, enabled new and innovative approaches for the treatment of mental-health problems.
The establishment of the Isaac Schweitzer Travelling Fellowship created a lasting legacy, by offering an early-career researcher or psychiatrist the opportunity to broaden their experience and knowledge overseas. Recipients of this fellowship will build upon Prof. Schweitzer’s innate curiosity, open-mindedness, and interest in new ideas, through their research and interactions with patients for a long time to come.
This award is to support an early-career researcher or psychiatrist, working in the field of psychiatry in the Department of Psychiatry at The University of Melbourne, providing the opportunity to travel overseas to undergo training or professional development to further their career in the field of psychiatry.
2023 - to be advised.
Disclaimer: The benefit amount for this award is approximate. It will be confirmed at the time of awarding and determined by the committee according to the terms of the award.
The award is open to an early-career researcher or psychiatrist, working in the field of psychiatry in the Department of Psychiatry, to travel overseas to undergo training or professional development to further their career in the field of psychiatry.
Selection will be based on an applicant's:
- Capacity to communicate complex ideas and theory, undertake research, and deliver mental-health services at a level equal to that required to gain entry into a postgraduate academic program at The University of Melbourne
- Keen interest in broadening clinical and research experience and knowledge in psychiatry at an external university, hospital, research, or teaching institution overseas
- Potential to make a significant contribution to psychiatric research and approaches upon their return to Australia.
The selection of applications for the award is undertaken by an assessment committee.
Please email the Department of Psychiatry Department Coordinator: firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Travel must be undertaken in the year that the fellowship is awarded.
- The fellowship recipient will be required to make a presentation and submit a written report on the outcomes of their fellowship.
2022 Dr Dhamidhu Eratne
2021 Not awarded
2020 Dr Sarah Farrand
2018 Dr Myles Gutkin
2017 Not awarded
2016 Dr Samantha Loi
2015 Dr Samuel Lieblich
Faculty of Medicine, Dentistry and Health Sciences
Department / Centre