Watch: The Melbourne Connect 2023 Oration with Professor Nick Opie: Unlocking Mind Power
Professor Nick Opie delivered the 2023 Melbourne Connect Oration, where he detailed his journey as founding Chief Technical Officer of Synchron, a neural interface company who developed the Stentrode device.
Join Professor Nicholas Opie BE BSc PhD MBA, a biomedical engineer, world expert in neural interfaces, and Professor and Laboratory Head of the Vascular Bionics Laboratory in the Department of Medicine at the University of Melbourne, as he delivers the 2023 Melbourne Connect Oration, held as part of Melbourne Connect Innovation Week.
Professor Opie is the founding Chief Technical Officer of Synchron, a neural interface company based in Melbourne and New York. Professor Opie designed and developed Synchron’s flagship product, the Stentrode™️, listed in Time Magazine’s Top 100 Inventions of 2021. The Stentrode and Synchron system aims to provide treatment for debilitating medical illnesses and enable patients to feel empowered by reconnecting online in ways that dramatically improve their lives.
- Professor Nick Opie, NHMRC Research Fellow, Laboratory Head of the Vascular Bionics Laboratory, Department of Medicine, University of Melbourne, and Chief Technical Officer, Synchron.
- 0:00: Welcome and Acknowledgement of Country by Georgia von Guttner, Director of Innovation Precincts, University of Melbourne, and Professor Eduard Hovy, Executive Director, Melbourne Connect.
- 4:28: Introduction of Professor Nick Opie by Professor Mark Hargreaves AM, Acting Deputy Vice-Chancellor (Research), University of Melbourne.
- 7:52: Professor Nick Opie delivers the 2023 Melbourne Connect Oration: 'Unlocking Mind Power: From Brain Sensor to Real-Life Applications'.
- 40:25: Audience Q&A session.
- 57:51: Closing remarks by Georgia von Guttner, Director of Innovation Precincts, University of Melbourne.