Carl De Gruchy Award
- Study level
- Graduate Research
- Enrolment status
- Current student
- Study Area
- Fund source
- Perpetual Trust (UOM)
- Fund basis
Donor: Denise de Gruchy, to commemorate her brother Professor Carl de Gruchy, Professor at St Vincent's Hospital from 1962 to 1969.
The scholarship will support a student to undertake a Coursework Master’s degree with a research thesis component in medical history or a higher degree by research in Medical History.
The value of the award will be $6,000 per annum and paid annually for the duration of the degree.
This scholarship is next expected to be offered in 2020.
Disclaimer: The benefit amount for this award is approximate. It will be confirmed at the time of awarding and determined by the committee according to the terms of the award.
Open for award annually to a student enrolled in the course for a higher degree in the field of medical history.
Students will need to meet one of these requirements:
- Have accepted and enrolled in a graduate coursework degree at the University of Melbourne that includes a research project or minor thesis component (minimum of 25points) that relates to medical history, or
- Have accepted and enrolled in a higher degree by research at the University of Melbourne that includes a research component that relates to medical history. A higher degree by research is a degree where the research component comprises two thirds or more of the qualification
Awarded annually to the student who provides the best project report in medical history.
Students will be asked to submit a 1,000 word submission demonstrating:
- Passion for medical history expressing reasons for their interest in this field and its value.
- Detailed understanding of the subject of their research explaining the need for research to be undertaken in this particular area.
- Knowledge of medical history collection and how the collection will fit into their research and relate to other primary sources.
Please contact Jacky Healy, Museum Curator, Medical History Museum, email@example.com.
Robyn Fahy – 2016 recipient
“I am deeply honoured to have been awarded the Carl de Gruchy Scholarship. The subject matter of my doctoral thesis, Dr Sr Mary Glowrey JMJ, is very close to my heart. I have spent the past ten years undertaking research about her on a voluntary basis and I’m privileged to have been given this unique opportunity to undertake further research into her extraordinary life. “