Melbourne School of Health Sciences PhD Award
- 17th Sep 2021
- 7th Dec 2021
- Study level
- Graduate Research
- Enrolment status
- Future student; Current student
- Fund source
- Perpetual Trust (UOM)
- Fund basis
To support students in the Melbourne School of Health Sciences. This is a Graduate Research Award (MSHS-GRAs) and available to eligible students to support graduate research in the health sciences. Recipients of an award will receive an amount equivalent to the Graduate Research Scholarship (Australian Government Research Training Program) at the time of award (currently $31,200 per annum for 3.5 years – indexed from 2022). The aim of the award is to promote clinical research within the disciplines of Physiotherapy, Social Work, Optometry and Vision Science, Speech Pathology or Nursing. This award is administered by the Faculty of Medicine, Dentistry and Health Sciences in conjunction with the Melbourne School of Health Sciences.
3 awards are available. The recipient of the award will receive an amount equivalent to the Graduate Research Scholarship (Australian Government Research Training Program) at the time of award (currently $31,200 per annum for 3.5 years – indexed from 2022).
Disclaimer: The benefit amount for this award is approximate. It will be confirmed at the time of awarding and determined by the committee according to the terms of the award.
To be considered for this award,
- students must: have applied for and met the entry requirements for a graduate research degree at the University of Melbourne.
- be an Australian or New Zealand citizen or Australian permanent resident who meets the University of Melbourne’s requirements for Research Higher Degree (RHD) candidature in the Faculty of Medicine, Dentistry and Health Sciences (https://study.unimelb.edu.au/how-to-apply/graduate-research/domestic-applications).
- have obtained overall marks in the highest grade band (e.g. H1 or HD) in a relevant Honours or Masters degree have not completed a PhD or held a graduate research scholarship previously.
- commence their PhD within 6 months of the offer.
Applications will be assessed on:
- work-place based experience and leadership;
- scholarly merit;
- the applicant’s stated “Career Objectives and Vision for the next 5 years” (per Expression of Interest form); and
- an intention to fit with the strategic directions of the Department/School.
A final decision on offers of MSHS GRAs is only possible after the Admissions Office finalises PhD offers. At this stage the MSHS assessment panel shall reconvene to finalise the ranking of EOI submissions, and informally offer an MSHS GRA to the top 3 ranking students within the three disciplines.
- Complete the Qualtrics EOI Survey by the advertised closing date. You will be required to upload the following documentation within the Qualtrics EOI Survey to complete the submission: ‘Expression of Interest (DOCX 103.1 KB)’.
- The preferred candidates will be required to submit a formal application under the relevant Melbourne School of Health Sciences Department and meet the entry requirements for a graduate research degree at the University of Melbourne.
Applicants will be notified of the outcome by email by 31 January 2022
Peter Blight Academic Programs Coordinator (Research) email@example.com
The scholarship is subject to the MDHS Graduate Research Trust Scholarships terms & conditions. Recipient of the MSHS Scholarship must also:
- continue to be enrolled full or part time;
- be assessed by their Advisory Committee as making satisfactory progress at each Progress Review;
- acknowledge receipt of the award in all publications and presentations;
- represent their Department on the committee organizing the annual MSHS Graduate Research colloquium;
- participate in publicity events and opportunities to share their research outcomes as requested by their Head of Department or Head of School, including presentations regarding the Scholarship opportunity to candidates in subsequent years; and
- recipients of trust-funded scholarships are required to reapply by 31 October each year or their scholarship funding will cease.
The studentship may be revoked if the recipient fails to meet any of the above conditions
Faculty of Medicine, Dentistry and Health Sciences