Indigenous Graduate Student Support


The Faculty of Medicine, Dentistry and Health Sciences would like to acknowledge the traditional custodians of the land on which our Parkville campus is situated. We are currently studying and working on the land of the Wurundjeri people and we would also like to also acknowledge Elders past, present and emerging.

We would also like to acknowledge and pay our respects to the Yorta Yorta Peoples,  whose land  is where our rural campus in Shepparton is situated, and acknowledge their Elders, past, present and emerging. Our respects extends to all Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander staff and students in our faculty.

About Indigenous Graduate Student Support

The Faculty of Medicine, Dentistry and Health Sciences offers support for our prospective and current Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander students. Student support includes our Indigenous graduate pathways, advocacy and course support. Our Indigenous Student Support Officer can assist you, whether you are a prospective or current student!

  • Who is my Indigenous Student Support Officer?

    Hi there! My name is Jess (she/her) and I am your MDHS Indigenous Student Support Officer and a proud Gunditjmara woman.

    I can assist you with entry into our graduate courses, and support you throughout your journey with us! Please reach out anytime you want a yarn. About me... I am a Capricorn, I have a fluffy white cat called Clover, and I live in Carlton.

  • How can I get in touch with the Indigenous Student Support Officer?

    Jess is located on Level 1 of the Brownless Biomedical Library and available for drop in visits from 9am to 5pm Monday, Tuesday and Thursday. You can also contact Jess by phone or email if you are not on campus.

    Address: Level 1, Brownless Biomedical Library
    Parkville Campus, Building 182

    You can also follow the Health Hub on social media for updates:
    Facebook: uom.HealthHub
    Instagram: uom.healthhub

  • Can I get in touch if I am an undergraduate student?

    Certainly! If you want to have a discussion about your pathways into a master's degree, definitely get in touch. If you have other enquiries such as accommodation or ABSTUDY, I recommend reaching out to Murrup Barak.

MDHS Indigenous Graduate Pathways

Congratulations! You’ve finished your undergraduate degree and you want to know what the next steps are as an Indigenous Australian student. We got you covered! The Faculty of Medicine, Dentistry and Health Sciences gives priority access to Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander students at the University of Melbourne under the Indigenous Graduate Pathways.

  • Does my bachelor’s degree need to come from the University of Melbourne?

    No, absolutely not! We accept all undergraduate degrees from a recognised institution. We will need your official academic transcript on record and we look to see that you meet the minimum entry requirements.

  • How do I submit an application via the Indigenous Graduate Pathway?

    Please contact Jess at for further information.

  • What if I don’t meet the minimum entry requirements?

    The conversation doesn’t end here. If you are not currently eligible, let’s have a discussion at how we can make you eligible.

  • Can I submit an application for the Indigenous Graduate Pathway if I am not Indigenous?

    No. You cannot apply if you are not Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander. Please contact for MDHS coursework enquiries and the Health Hub for MDHS graduate research enquiries.

  • Do I have to submit a Confirmation of Identity to be eligible to apply under the Indigenous Graduate Pathway?

    Yes. Indigenous Australians must submit documents to confirm their identity as part of the Indigenous Graduate Pathway application process.

Confirmation of Identity

  • Why do I need to confirm my identity? Do I have to?

    Your Aboriginal or Torres Strait Islander heritage is something that is personal to you. You do not need a letter of confirmation to identify as an Indigenous person.

    You do not need to have your identify confirmed by us to enter the University as an Indigenous Australian student.

    However, if you wish to apply for and enter an MDHS graduate course through our Indigenous pathways (such as our Indigenous MD Pathway) and receive additional services such as ITAS , you must have your identity verified.

  • How can I confirm my identity as an Aboriginal/ Torres Strait Islander?

    Excellent question!

    We accept the following documents:

    1. A Confirmation of Aboriginality with a common seal from a local Aboriginal Community Controlled Organisation in which you reside or Country area you come from.
    2. A completed and witnessed Statutory Declaration.

    Please send your  documents to

    Please note that your Statutory Declaration of Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander identity requires you to declare you live and identify as an Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander and are accepted as such by the community in which you live or have lived.

    Please note a Statutory Declaration is a legally binding document.

    The University may request further information and/or documentation where it determines further verification is required or uncertainty exists.

    Being dishonest about one’s identity and one’s connections to Indigenous communities damages the integrity and intent of service provision to address inequality and is harmful to Indigenous peoples.

    If you intentionally make a false statement in a statutory declaration you can be charged with a criminal offence which carries the possibility of up to four years imprisonment.

  • I don't have any connection with my mob. What can I do?

    Many people are on their journey towards filling all parts of the definition and we can recognise that many people are disconnected their community through no fault of their own. However, in this instance you will need to supply a legal document that confirms you meet all three parts of the criteria to access certain Indigenous specific support, pathways, and degrees at The University of Melbourne.

What other perks are available as an Indigenous student at MDHS?

  • Scholarships

What other Indigenous support services exist at the University?

  • Melbourne Poche Centre for Indigenous Health

    The University of Melbourne takes the approach that support for Indigenous research students should be tailored towards each student, and the Melbourne Poche Centre for Indigenous Health supports Indigenous research students by identifying the tailored support required.

    Find out more

  • Murrup Barak

    The University of Melbourne welcomes Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander students to all courses and programs, and Murrup Barak is here to help future students discover their options and start studying. Murrup Barak supports the Indigenous student community and delivers an integrated educational and cultural program to ensure that Indigenous students have every opportunity for success in their studies.

    Find out more

  • Indigenous Studies Unit

    The Indigenous Studies Unit undertakes research aiming to improve outcomes in Indigenous health, particularly in relation to alcohol misuse and family violence, Indigenous data sovereignty, digital archives, cultural heritage, technology and resource management.

    Find out more

  • LIME Network

    The LIME Network is a dynamic network dedicated to ensuring the quality and effectiveness of teaching and learning of Indigenous health in medical education, as well as best practice in the recruitment and graduation of Indigenous medical students.

    Find out more

  • AIDA