Savant Thakur Memorial Scholarship
- Study level
- Graduate Research
- Enrolment status
- Future student; Current student
- Multiple donations
- Fund source
- Perpetual Trust (UOM)
- Fund basis
“Strive towards your goals, just push on and never give up. Anyone who has a dream and wants to achieve something can and the disability should be no barrier.”
That was the life motto of Savant Thakur – a man with a single-minded determination to improve the lives of others with Duchenne Muscular Dystrophy. Sadly, Savant fell short of time in his quest to find a cure, but he made incredible inroads with his award-winning studies into muscle wasting disorders at the University of Melbourne’s Centre for Muscle Research in the Department of Physiology.
This scholarship is to support PhD candidates within the School of Biomedical Science who demonstrate the qualities Savant exemplified – academic excellence, resilience in the face of adversity and leadership in the community.
One PhD scholarship award every 4 years. Each scholarship is worth $115,000 over 3.5 years. Funding provided through the School of Biomedical Sciences and the MDHS Scholarship Fund.
Disclaimer: The benefit amount for this award is approximate. It will be confirmed at the time of awarding and determined by the committee according to the terms of the award.
To be eligible for this scholarship, you need to:
- Demonstrate academic excellence in a branch of Biomedical Sciences
- Demonstrate resilience in the face of adversity
- Demonstrate leadership in the community
- have applied for and met the entry requirements for a Graduate Research degree within the School of Biomedical Science at the University of Melbourne, or
- have commenced in a Graduate Research degree within the School of Biomedical Science at the University of Melbourne within the last 12months.
Eligible applicants will be assessed based on academic excellence in a branch of Biomedical Sciences, resilience in the face of adversity and leadership in the community.
Applicants to submit Savant Thakur Memorial Award Application form, academic transcript(s) and one referee report addressing the selection criteria to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Application close date: Tuesday 31 July 2021
All applicants will be notified of their outcome within 1 month of closing date.
Ms Aradhana Deoki email@example.com.