Minimum requirements

Placements during the COVID-19 pandemic

The University continues to deliver quality education and health training to students amidst the unique challenges presented by the COVID-19 pandemic to ensure we have a skilled health workforce of the future. As you return to placement it is important to understand that the experience will be different to what you may have experienced before. Restrictions continue to apply to some activities and across all health disciplines new techniques of delivering health care have been introduced or expanded (for example, tele or video-health).

Be assured that placements will only be facilitated where there are adequate protections for your safety and where a quality, comprehensive learning experience can be achieved.

When attending placement, you must stay up to date on the current advice from the Department of Health and Human Services, in particular the Infection Control Guidelines. You may also be required to participate in periodic screening and/or agree to additional terms and conditions related to the pandemic. We strongly recommend students download the COVIDSafe app or keep a diary to assist with contact tracing.

Students who are employed are reminded that they have access to government financial support at this time.  Students may be eligible for a COVID-19 Test Isolation Payment or a COVID-19 Worker Support Payment.  Please refer to the Department of Health and Human Services website.

If you or someone around you is anxious about coronavirus, you may find these COVID-19 support resources useful.

These requirements have changed. For more information, see the change summary.

  1. Read the Australian Charter of Healthcare Rights

    If your placement is taking place in a healthcare environment, you must read and be familiar with the Australian Charter of Healthcare Rights.

    Read the Charter

  2. Notify the University if you may not be suitable for placement

    If, at any time or for any reason, you believe that you may not be fit, proper or competent to undertake your student placement, you must notify the placement coordinator for your course immediately. This includes letting us know if you have any impairment that might affect activities relating to the student placement in any way.

    Not disclosing this information might put yourself or members of the public at risk, and could constitute a breach of regulations imposed by the Australian Health Practitioner Regulation Agency (AHPRA).

    The University is an equal opportunity organisation, and we will work with you and our community partners to minimise any impacts on your course progression.

    Contact the Health Hub

  3. Register with AHPRA (if applicable)

    Students in most health disciplines are required to be registered with the Australian Health Practitioner Regulation Agency (AHPRA) prior to commencing a student placement. Your course coordinator can advise if this applies to you.

    For students in most courses, the University liaises directly with AHPRA to manage your student registration. Psychology students and qualified practitioners undertaking further study are required to maintain their own registration with the relevant National Board.

    More information

  4. Ensure you are adequately protected against infectious disease

    Participating in a student placement, particularly in a healthcare environment, bears a risk that infection might occur between you and a patient or client. These risks cannot be totally eliminated, but they can be minimised.

    The University of Melbourne and our placement partners take the prevention of infectious disease transmission very seriously and require that students provide evidence of their infection and immunisation status.

    More information

  5. Provide evidence of your Australian and overseas criminal record

    Throughout your studies, you must:

    • Hold a valid Victorian Working with Children Check and list the University as an organisation that engages you in child-related work
    • Obtain an appropriate Australian nationally coordinated criminal history check ("police check")
    • Provide evidence of your comprehensive overseas police record (if applicable) at the beginning of your course
    • Notify the University and your current placement provider (if applicable) immediately if, at any time, you are under investigation, have been charged with or are found guilty of a criminal offence (other than a minor traffic offence) in Australia or overseas.

    The refusal of a Working with Children Check application or presence of criminal history does not automatically preclude students from placement. However, the details of each student's police record are provided to the student's intended placement provider, who will make a suitability assessment according to their own policies.

    More information:

  6. Satisfy any course or placement-specific requirements

    Students in some courses or attending particular placement providers are required to satisfy additional requirements or provide further documentation.

    More information