Step 5 - Where to Apply?

Interested in doing research with us?

Future Students Admissions and Applications

Related Information

  • Graduate research courses

    A range of graduate research courses are available in the Faculty of Medicine, Dentistry and Health Sciences and a summary list is provided below.

    Research doctorates

    Doctor of Philosophy
    Doctor of Medical Science
    Master of Psychology/ Doctor of Philosophy

    Research Masters

    Master of Philosophy
    Master of Advanced Social Work
    Master of Medicine
    Master of Primary Health Care
    Master of Surgery

  • Course fees and fee waivers

    • International Students

      The majority of international graduate research students do not pay course fees in the Faculty of Medicine, Dentistry and Health Sciences*.

      All International applicants who advise the University on their formal application form that they are applying for both course and scholarship will be considerd for Melbourne International Fee Remission Scholarships (MIFRS) which are course fee waivers. Applicants with sponsorship must include information with their application giving details of sponsorship arrangements so that the Faculty can assess whether additional support for the student may be required.

      Conditions do apply. A matching stipend (living allowance) must be guaranteed by an institution (eg. the proposed academic department of enrolment in the faculty, sponsorship from an overseas government or the Australian Government, AusAid or other NGO). The stipend must meet our minimum standards (in 2016 the minimum rate is that of the Melbourne International Research Scholarship - MIRS) and must be guaranteed by the institution for a minimum of 3.5 years.

      * This scheme applies to the Faculty's Doctor of Philosophy, Doctor of Medical Science, Master of Psychology/PhD, Master of Philosophy and specific Masters by Research degrees.

      Future Students - Admissions - Fees - Graduate International Students -  resource for the University's international fee policy and other useful information:

      • Payment options
      • Invoices
      • Variations to fees owing (including refunds)
      • Special provisions for graduate completions
      • International students granted Australian permanent residency
    • Australian and New Zealand citizens and Australian Permanent Residents

      The Research Training Scheme (RTS) provides Commonwealth-funded Higher Degree Research (HDR) students with an 'entitlement' to a fee exemption for the duration of an accredited HDR course.

      • For PhD or doctorate by research, funding is provided for a maximum of four years full-time (eight years part-time).
      • For a masters by research, funding is provided for a maximum of two years full-time (four years part-time).

      The University may elect to impose fees on students who wish to remain enrolled after exhausting their entitlement. More information is available from the Australian Government.

      Refer to Future Students Start Here to find out if you are local or international student.

  • Accepting your offer and enrolling

    The offer letter you receive will contain instructions on creating an account and enrolling into your course. If prompted for your student number, this is the same as your Applicant ID at the top of this offer letter.

    Graduate Research students are not able to enrol themselves in subjects.

    You will need to email the MDHS Learning and Teaching Unit to be enrolled in your thesis subject. This is a requirement to complete enrolment.

    I have a conditional offer, what does this mean?

    If you receive a conditional offer for a course, you must satisfy the conditions before you can enrol.

    Follow the procedures outlined in your offer letter and if you have any questions contact the MDHS Health Hub.

    When will I start receiving my scholarship?

    You must complete enrolment in order to make your scholarship active. Payments will commence in the first pay period after your enrolment is complete.

    If you think you've completed enrolment and haven't received your first scholarship payment, contact the MDHS Health Hub to check your status. (For students holding scholarships from external organisations, check your scholarship offer letter and contact the funding body).

    Need some help with online enrolment?

    If you're having difficulty completing the online acceptance and enrolment process and need help troubleshooting, give 13 MELB (13 6352) a call.

    They'll be able to walk you through the online process, and can also advise on general questions about The University of Melbourne.

  • Services available, orientation and induction

    University orientation

    All graduate reserachers are expected to attend a University Orientation in their first year of enrolment. Orientation Day for Graduate Researchers provides a welcome to  all graduate researchers (PhD, research doctorate or masters by research candidates) who are new to the  University of  Melbourne or new to their graduate research degree.

    The day introduces you to the comprehensive research training and professional development services  available at the University. Find out more and to register.

    The Graduate Research Hub is a great resource to find out more about services and support outside of formal orientation. Keep up to date with news and events relevant to you. Find out about research training and professional development. Guidelines on a range of  matters like thesis submission and examination.

    International Student Briefing

    If you are a new international graduate researcher, the online International Student Briefing provides you with information about safety in Melbourne, emergency numbers, tenancy and work rights and your responsibilities as a student visa holder. This is a compulsory requirement for international students; complete this briefing online.

    Local induction

    All academic units (whether department, school, institute or centre) run local inductions and graduate researchers are required to attend a local induction.

    If you haven't received advice about induction, check with your supervisor or contact your local graduate research administrator.

    Student Services

    The Student Services website provides a comprehensive list of support services available to University of Melbourne students. These services include health and wellbeing, academic support, housing and financial assistance, support for international students, and orientation.