Course fees and fee waivers

  • International Students

    The majority of international graduate research students do not pay course fees in the Faculty of Medicine, Dentistry and Health Sciences*.

    All International applicants who advise the University on their formal application form that they are applying for both course and scholarship will be considerd for Melbourne International Fee Remission Scholarships (MIFRS) which are course fee waivers. Applicants with sponsorship must include information with their application giving details of sponsorship arrangements so that the Faculty can assess whether additional support for the student may be required.

    Conditions do apply. A matching stipend (living allowance) must be guaranteed by an institution (eg. the proposed academic department of enrolment in the faculty, sponsorship from an overseas government or the Australian Government, AusAid or other NGO). The stipend must meet our minimum standards (in 2016 the minimum rate is that of the Melbourne International Research Scholarship - MIRS) and must be guaranteed by the institution for a minimum of 3.5 years.

    * This scheme applies to the Faculty's Doctor of Philosophy, Doctor of Medical Science, Master of Psychology/PhD, Master of Philosophy and specific Masters by Research degrees.

    Future Students - Admissions - Fees - Graduate International Students -  resource for the University's international fee policy and other useful information:

    • Payment options
    • Invoices
    • Variations to fees owing (including refunds)
    • Special provisions for graduate completions
    • International students granted Australian permanent residency
  • Australian and New Zealand citizens and Australian Permanent Residents

    The Research Training Scheme (RTS) provides Commonwealth-funded Higher Degree Research (HDR) students with an 'entitlement' to a fee exemption for the duration of an accredited HDR course.

    • For PhD or doctorate by research, funding is provided for a maximum of four years full-time (eight years part-time).
    • For a masters by research, funding is provided for a maximum of two years full-time (four years part-time).

    The University may elect to impose fees on students who wish to remain enrolled after exhausting their entitlement. More information is available from the Australian Government.

    Refer to Future Students Start Here to find out if you are local or international student.