Am I Eligible?

There are a range of things to consider when submitting an application to undertake a research higher degree.

  • H1 standard for PhD and the MPsych/PhD

    You are automatically H1 standard and therefore eligible for scholarships if you hold:

    • An Australian/New Zealand bachelor degree with first-class honours (H1)
    • An Australian/New Zealand research masters preliminary degree, formally graded at H1 level
    • An Australian/New Zealand research masters degree, formally graded at H1 level.
    • An Australian/New Zealand Honours or Masters graduate with a GRSC score of 80 or above.
    • A Fellowship awarded by the Royal Australasian Medical Colleges, Royal Australasian College of Dental Surgeons, Australian College of Physiotherapists (fellowship of other colleges will be assessed individually).

    If your qualifications don’t clearly meet the H1 standard, but your application is supported by your proposed department, the department may make a case for consideration of your qualifications and experience as equivalent to the H1 standard by submitting a case for H1 equivalence.

    PhD Entry Requirements

  • H1 equivalence

    The following qualifications require such an assessment:

    • bachelors degree with second-class honours as the highest qualification
    • research masters preliminary degree without a formal grade
    • masters degree with no research component
    • graduate diploma
    • overseas qualifications where the University GRSC score is below 80
    • all other qualifications.

    In deciding whether your qualifications are equivalent to H1 standard, a panel of academic staff consider your:

    • research output – refereed publications, such as books, journal articles, conference proceedings, reports and working papers, data bases, software and other non-traditional outputs
    • prior substantial and successful professional experience in a discipline related to the research, demonstrated leadership in the profession, demonstrated leadership in the development of professional practice.
    • prior research experience – the nature and extent of research undertaken during relevant work experience. It is important the applicant details their research output and relevant research experience when completing their research degree application.

    Performance in previous roles will need to be substantiated by evidence of appropriate outputs (publications, reports, presentations) and referees reports.

    PhD applicants cannot apply directly for H1 Equivalence consideration. Assessment of H1 equivalence is undertaken by the department and faculty during assessment of the application. The department will use the information provided in your application to decide whether a case for H1 equivalence should be submitted. The case is considered by the Faculty and outcomes notified to applicants within the advertised application round timelines.

  • Masters by Research and the Doctor of Medical Science

    H2A is the minimum academic standard for the Doctor of Medical Science and all Masters by Research degrees of the Faculty. Cases for H2A equivalence are not accepted.

    For other entry requirements, refer to specific course entries in the University Handbook.

  • Scholarship eligibility

    To be eligibile for graduate research scholarships in the Faculty of Medicine, Dentistry and Health Sciences, you must be of first class honours or equivalent standard and you must normally have a scholarship score of 80 or higher.  Students with H2A are not eligible for scholarships with two exceptions:

    • Graduate research students applying for Fay Marles Scholarships


    • Graduate research students identifying as Indigenous Australians.
  • English language requirements

    English is the language of instruction and assessment across the University of Melbourne.
    You must meet the English language requirements of the University to be eligible for a place.

    English Language Requirements