The Network has been established to work with network members and leadership to build and promote visibility The University of Melbourne is a founding member of the SAGE initiative to undertake the Athena SWAN Charter in Australia. In recognition of our commitment to taking action on gender equity in STEMM, the University has received a Bronze Award, the first stage in the accreditation framework. Under the leadership of Professor Marilys Guillemin and the Diversity and Inclusion Steering Committee, the University of Melbourne is implementing a four-year action plan to address challenges and opportunities relating to gender equity and diversity.
Georgina Sweet Awards for Women in Quantitative Biomedical Science
Created by Professor Leann Tilley as part of her Australian Research Council Laureate Fellowship program, the awards are designed to promote and support female scientists who demonstrate excellence in the area of quantitative biomedical science. Four awards of $25,000 each are available to Australian female researchers who excel in the area of quantitative biomedical science while two awards of $25,000 recognise women in biomedical sciences who have a strong track record in research and who demonstrate the importance of diversity and inclusion.
University of Melbourne groups and services
Melbourne Medical School Women Clinicians in Academic Leadership Symposium
Inaugural symposium for female clinicians featuring plenaries, TED-style talks and interactive panels.
Pathways to Politics Program for Women
Addressing the chronic under-representation of women in parliament, open to female graduates from all Victorian universities
The Strong Women program provides participation and leadership opportunities for women students across all levels of sport and recreation at Melbourne University Sport
- Women in STEMM Parkville Precinct – supporting women to lead and excel in science
- STEM Women – connecting women with career advancing opportunities
- Women in Science Australia – increasing the role women in STEMM have in thought leadership, decision-making and senior positions
- Chief Executive Women Australia – removing barriers to women’s progression and ensuring equal opportunity for prosperity
- Franklin Women – creating opportunities for network, professional development and career progression for women in health and medicine
- Women in STEMM Australia – advocating for gender equity and equality in Australia’s STEMM sectors
- Women in Stem Decadal Plan – guiding stakeholders as they identify and implement specific actions to help build the strongest STEM workforce possible by 2030.
- Gender Equity Victoria – Victorian peak body for gender equity, women’s health and the prevention of violence against women
- Safe and Strong: Victorian Gender Equality Strategy – preventing violence against women through gender equality
- A podcast of one’s own with Julia Gillard featuring interviews with guests including Professor Marcia Langton, Sally McManus and Mary Beard as they talk about career highlights and challenges
- The Guilty Feminist – humorous podcast on topics related to feminism
Unlocking Us – Brene Brown looks at gender equity, intersectionality and other important conversations that further diversity and inclusion
- The Wife Drought – author Annabel Crabb examines the care side of the equality equation and finds that women
- Women, Race & Class – a powerful study of the women's movement in the U.S. from abolitionist days to the present that demonstrates how it has always been hampered by the racist and classist biases of its leaders.
- Pain and Prejudice – Gabrielle Jackson writes about how social taboos and medical ignorance keep women sick and in anguish
- See What You Made Me Do – investigative journalist Jess Hill puts perpetrators of domestic violence – and the systems that enable them – in the spotlight