2019 Dean's Innovation Grants
Early to mid-career researchers at the University of Melbourne's Faculty of Medicine, Dentistry and Health Sciences interested in taking their research to the next level are encouraged to apply for the 2019 Dean’s Innovation Grants.
These grants are part of our mission to build an entrepreneurial culture and workforce that can support innovation and enterprise, a major commitment of the MDHS Strategic Plan, Beyond 2018.
Dr Brendon Chua, Dr Matias Maturana, Dr Laura Downie (first prize) and Dr Ada Cheung – winners of inaugural Dean’s Innovation Grants.
Awardees will receive:
- grants of up to $50,000 for projects with the potential to achieve significant societal and/or economic benefit
- education and mentoring for projects in Pharma or MedTech via entry into SPARK Melbourne: https://www.sparkoceania.com/spark-uom/
- Support via access to entrepreneurial workshops within the Melbourne innovation ecosystem (e.g. via Translating Research at Melbourne (TRaM) – TRaM delivers a series of programs designed to accelerate researchers’ commercial insight and impact)
Applications are open to level A, B and C researchers working on:
- discovery research not otherwise supported through conventional funding, or
- translational research requiring further funding to progress to the proof-of-concept stage
The Dean’s Innovation Grants aim to boost the Faculty’s commercial pipeline for scientific discoveries by supporting the development of innovative projects to a stage where they are well positioned to attract subsequent funding from government – for example, the Medical Research Future Fund (MRFF), or industry and venture capital to progress to the next phase of R&D.
Applications open Mon 6th May 2019 and close Fri 7th June 2019.
The winners will be announced at a pitch event in August, with projects to start in September. The judging panel will be led by the Associate Dean of Innovation and Enterprise, Professor Darren Kelly, who chairs the MDHS Innovation and Enterprise Advisory Board.
Online application forms are available here
Word application forms are available here
Download the guidelines and on how to apply here
To discuss your application or if you are unsure about your eligibility, please email firstname.lastname@example.org
Dr Premila Paiva