Nick Christopher PhD Scholarship
This scholarship honours the legacy of Mr. Nick Christopher who was the Department of Medicine Manager from 2001-2008, and the Inaugural RMH/WH Cluster Manager in 2008 until his passing on the 15th November 2008. The scholarships, targeted to attract and support the best and brightest young students to undertake their PhD studies in our Clinical Departments, were one of his most passionate projects.
Two Nick Christopher scholarships are offered to the best ranked PhD students commencing their study in any of the RMH/RWH Departments (Medicine, Surgery, Psychiatry, Radiology, Obstetrics and Gynaecology); each scholarship is offered at $6000 per annum for three years to top up a competitive PhD scholarship (e.g. APA/RTP-DOM, MRS-INT, NHMRC). However, if the winner of the Larkins Prize chooses to go on to undertake a PhD in one of the departments, he/she will be awarded one of the two 'Nick Christopher PhD Scholarships' offered each year. In this case, there will be only one scholarship available in that year for all other students.
The prize honours the incoming PhD student who was judged the most outstanding, based on the following criteria:
- Academic achievements
- Awards and Prizes
- Community service/Professional degrees/Work in Health area
- Level of Opportunity – this considers the level of opportunities available to the student in terms of gaining accomplishments e.g Honours students/fresh graduates compared to others who have had many years of professional/research experience.
- Support for Department - this considers the extent of the student’s potential/existing support for the department they are enrolled in, e.g. participation in Departmental/campus activities, StORM committee/member involvement.
- Enrolment date should be between 1 April of the year prior to application and 31 March of the year of the application.
- Obtained a competitive peer-reviewed Scholarship (e.g. APA/RTP-DOM, MRS-INT) or equivalent competitive scholarship from NHMRC or external organisation, and accepted the offer to study in any Department at RMH/RWH (Medicine and Radiology, Surgery, Psychiatry, Obstetrics and Gynaecology).
- Awarded a Full time scholarship for at least 3 years (or duration) of the PhD.
- For students who have an existing studentship or will have other top-up scholarship/s - that amount plus the Nick Christopher scholarship of $6000 p.a. (if you are successful), cannot exceed 75% of the value of your current scholarship.
Students obtaining any of the scholarships mentioned and meeting eligibility criteria will be invited to submit an application. Excluding academic transcripts, applications are to be no more than 6 pages in total.
- $6000 p.a.
- 31 March 2017
HOW TO SUBMIT AN APPLICATION
Please compile all the following information in a single document, with Headings in the order as listed below:
1. A brief CV (no more than 2 pages) highlighting any fellowships, awards, scholarships, studentships, publications, as follows:
- With Medical Fellowships, please provide name of fellowship, date awarded and details of the fellowship, e.g. general description, criteria of award, etc.
- With Awards/Scholarships/Studentships, please include full details such as Name of award, awarding institution, name of provider of studentship, the monetary value, award start and end dates, research/study the award is supporting, etc.
- With Publications, please list only those which are peer-reviewed (so exclude abstracts, letters, etc) and also indicate your contribution to the publication/s in terms of estimated % contribution.
2. A report (maximum length of 2 pages) which must address the key selection criteria. We suggest one paragraph per selection criteria item, in the order as follows:
- Project outline
- Demonstrated commitment to a career in medical research
- Demonstration of community leadership
- Extra-curricular activities including those associated with medical research
3. An academic referee report from a previous supervisor or lecturer endorsing your application - please send the attached form to your referee to complete and ask them to either return it to you for submission or they can return it directly to the address below. Academic Referee Report Form.
4. Certified academic transcripts from Undergraduate, Honours or Masters qualifications. (Other documents such as Awards, commendations, etc are optional).
Please send either a hardcopy or an electronic copy of your complete application to (preferred method of submission is by email and file format must be PDF only):
The 'Nick Christopher Top-Up Scholarship’ Administrator
Ms Kim Ng (Graduate Research Programs Coordinator (Parkville)
The University of Melbourne, Department of Medicine
L4, Clinical Sciences Building
The Royal Melbourne Hospital
Parkville Victoria 3050
Department / Centre
Key ContactMs Kim Ng (Graduate Research Programs Coordinator (Parkville)
T: 03 8344 3296