Applications are invited for the prestigious Nossal Global Health Scholars programme. Launched in honour of our patron Sir Gustav Nossal, the programme supports postgraduate research scholarships for graduates eligible to be approved as full-time candidates for graduate research degrees in the Nossal Institute for Global Health, School of Population and Global Health, Faculty of Medicine, Dentistry and Health Sciences, University of Melbourne.
The Nossal Institute for Global Health at the University of Melbourne aims to enhance global health equity and build a sustainable human future through research, evaluation, education, and inclusive development practice and focuses on the responses of health systems in the Asia Pacific region to the demands of epidemiological, demographic, economic and social transitions. The Institute is named in honour of Professor Emeritus Sir Gustav Nossal, AC CBE, FAA FRS, a world-renowned scientist and immunologist, Australian of the Year 2000, an inspirational leader, who continues to influence the scientific affairs of Australia and the world through his advocacy for science and work with the World Health Organisation, the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation and other agencies.
These awards are open to high-level outstanding graduates with academic leadership potential, to undertake research in global health-relevant fields of social sciences or public health with preference given to a focus on the issues of health systems transitions in the Asia Pacific region, at the Nossal Institute for Global Health within the Melbourne School of Population and Global Health, University of Melbourne.
It is anticipated that up to 50% of the project could be undertaken outside Australia provided adequate supervision or collaborative arrangements can be made, and conditions of current or future University of Melbourne programmes are met. The scholarship may be held in part or full in conjunction with some other scholarships such as the Australian Postgraduate Award.
Up to two PhD scholarships will be awarded each year, however the Selection Committee reserves the right not to make an award in a given selection round
Approximate value: $105,000
Tenure: Maximum tenure 3.5 years
Area of study: Global health relevant social sciences and public health with preference given to a focus on the issues of health systems transitions in the Asia Pacific region
Citizenship: Australian Citizen, Australian Permanent Resident, New Zealand Citizen, International (includes permanent residents of NZ)
Student type: Graduate research
Who can apply?
- All applicants for the Nossal Global Health Scholars programme are advised to review the Selection Criteria when considering their eligibility in making their application.
- Applicants must meet the entry requirements for PhD entry in the Faculty of Medicine, Dentistry and Health sciences, University of Melbourne.
- Eligible local and international applicants for graduate research degrees in Nossal Institute for Global Health are encouraged to apply.
- Students from low and middle income countries are especially invited to apply.
- Australian and international students currently enrolled in post graduate courses at the University of Melbourne are eligible to apply.
- Depending on the project, field work may be carried out under co-supervision in the country of primary research.
- The successful awardees must enrol and commence studies before 31st May 2016.
- Applicants must be undertaking a project with a high degree of relevance to global health issues that are reflected in the goals of the Nossal Institute for Global Health.
- The application form needs to be accompanied by a letter of support from the proposed supervisor indicating how the research project will help achieve these goals.
The Selection Committee will base their decision on information provided in the application using a range of criteria. The Selection Committee reserves the right not to offer the scholarships in a given round.
* The value of the scholarship awarded will be determined by the Committee based on the applicant's individual circumstances. Scholarships offered may therefore vary in value and tenure. The maximum scholarship amount awarded will be up to $30,000 per annum for a maximum of 3.5 years (doctoral degrees). The selection committee may offer scholarships at a reduced rate at their discretion; for example, where applicants are awarded (or already hold) another scholarship or where recipients are already enrolled in the PhD and who have less than 3.5 years of candidature remaining.
Where an applicant's course fees are funded by another organisation, the Selection Committee reserves the right not to offer a course fee waiver.
How to apply
- All applicants are advised to review the Selection Criteria when considering their eligibility in making their application.
- Applicants should apply for other scholarships as well as the Nossal Global Health Scholars (such as APA, MIRS, MIFRS).
- Complete the application form and submit by 31 March 2016.